Hacks the Newsletter: Quarantine Hacks from Kellie Martin
For this week’s Hacks the Newsletter we are super excited to launch a series of “Celebrity Hacks.” Kicking the series off is my dear friend, actress/producer/photographer/mom/chef/animal and wine lover/all-around tremendous person: Kellie Martin. Kellie is an Emmy-nominated film and screen actress that many of us know from past shows such as ER and Life Goes On to her current role on Hailey Dean Mystery. We asked her about her Top 5 Shelter-In-Place hacks.
Kellie Martin’s Quarantine Hacks
1. MAKE SLOW FOOD I now make my own almond milk, enjoy pour-over coffee, and try to use as many farm-fresh ingredients as possible. All of this takes longer and requires a lot more effort, but we are eating better and more consciously. And with so many restaurants closed, it’s important to directly support farmers.
2. RECLAIM OUR HISTORY I’ve become obsessed with learning American history. I’m going through Yale’s fantastic (and free!) courses at oyc.yale.edu. Since quarantine, I’ve taken the American Revolution with Joanne Freeman, The Civil War and Reconstruction with David Blight, and African American Studies: Emancipation to the Present. It seems vital to understand our fraught moment today by looking to the past.
3. LISTEN TO MUSIC Music is such a great escape or mood changer for me. I’m playing lots of classical and jazz. Go to Hillary Hahn or Billie Holiday to set the tone for the day.
4. WORKOUT EVERY DAY There are so many great online fitness options. No matter what, I make sure I take an hour or more to connect with my body and move. My favorite online workouts right now are balletbeautiful.com and lekfit.com. These are fun, effective dance-based workouts.
5. SIMPLIFY We’ve tried to make do with what we already have. Money is for food and necessities these days. I don’t need a new pair of heels right now. It’s amazing what I’m finding in my house as I dig around. It’s so important to use what you have or make it!
To hear more from Kellie Martin, follow her on Instagram!